1 package lean ground chicken
1 carton Campbell’s chicken broth
1 carton of water
3 garlic cloves
1 red onion, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, chopped/diced
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed/drained
1 large carrot, chopped
1/2 small white onion, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 tsp basil
1 tsp italian
5 kale leaves, chopped off the stem
1/2 tbsp fresh thyme
1. Soften the sweet potatoes in the microwave to save cooking time. (puncture with a fork and microwave for ~2 1/2 minutes…until softened).
2. In a large skillet, saute the onion, sweet potato, and carrot in ~2 tbsp olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves for ~10 minutes (until softened).
3. While this is cooking, in a large soup pot – add in the carton of chicken broth, carton of water, and chickpeas and turn onto medium heat.
4. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and add them to the pot after they have cooked for ~10 minutes.
5. Now in the large skillet, add 1-2 tbsp olive oil, 1 crushed garlic clove, and the lean ground chicken. Cook the chicken until browning (no pink throughout) ~15 minutes with regular mixing.
6. Add the chicken to the pot when it is thoroughly cooked.
7. Add the spices, parmesan, and fresh thyme to the pot.
8. Bring the soup mixture to a boil.
9. Once boiled, add the chopped kale leaves and allow to simmer for at least one hour.
10. Add pepper and salt to taste… and enjoy 🙂