Ingredients (Makes ~8 muffins):
1 1/2 cup spelt flour (I used OneDegree Organics Foods spelt flour) – you can substitute this for Whole Wheat if needed.
1/4 cup large flake oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cup dates, mashed and pits removed
1/4 cup egg whites
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
Option- 1 tbsp brown sugar, coconut sugar, or demerra sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix.
3. In a microwave safe bowl, soften the dates by microwaving them for 40 secs in 1 tbsp of water. Mash them and add to mixing bowl.
4. Mix in the wet ingredients.
5. Once fully combined – put in muffins tins or greased muffin pan. Sprinkle demerra sugar (or brown sugar of choice) on top!
6. Bake for ~20-25 minutes until browning/knife comes out clean when poked through the center.