Guess what these energy bites are made of?! Primarily CHICKPEAS! Who would have thought?
Chickpeas are a low fat alternative to use in many recipes. Chickpeas are also a great plant-based source of protein, fibre, B vitamins, and iron. Tonight I am hosting a class on this Versatile Bean at our Sobeys Stratford. This is one of the few recipes I came up with to demonstrate this little bean’s great versatility! More recipes will be coming your way after our class.
Ingredients (Makes ~ 24 small bites):
- 1 ½ cups canned unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup natural almond butter
- 3 tbsp natural honey
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 1/3 cup oat flour (gluten-free Bob’s Red Mill)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 70% cacao dark chocolate chunks
- In a food processor, combine the rinsed/drained chickpeas, almond butter, honey, cinnamon powder, and vanilla.
- Process these ingredients until completely combined into a thick puree.
- Using a spatula, scrap the mixture from your food processor into a large mixing bowl.
- In the large mixing bowl, add the oats (a small amount at a time) and mix in thoroughly.
- Next add the maple syrup and mix.
- Finally, add your flour. Add ¼ cup at a time with regular mixing. (It is difficult to combine so the smaller amount at a time, the better).
- Fold in your dark chocolate chunks.
- Form the mixture into bite sized bites and place in the refrigerator for storage.
- Eat chilled and enjoy 🙂
One thought on “Chocolate Chunk Energy Bites… with a surprise ingredient!”
these are amazing!! perfect for on the go 😛